Sunday, September 13, 2009

Haunted Mansion mouse ears - with extra glowing power!

In case you can't tell, I am a BIG fan of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland and so I was very excited to get one of these HM mouse eared hats a couple of years ago. But it was just so plain! I bought a few extras, thinking that I would find a crafty purpose for them but they've been languishing in the craft closet until now!

The grey hat comes with an applique of the Mansion and it's three famous inhabitants: Phineas, Ezra, & Gus. The ears also have detailed 'randy spooks' who are rising up and floating away. The hitchhikers are made from a glow-in-the-dark material already, which inspired me to add MORE g.i.d. features!


HM mouse ears

First up: my name! Since the parks no longer hand-embroider the hats (it's a computerized embroidery machine now) and they only have a few font options, none of which tickled my fancy, so I decided to try a different path to get my name on my hat. Paint it myself, using g.i.d. paints!


my name, in glow-in-the-dark paint

This is only one layer of the g.i.d. paint, so it's not completely smooth and even (this was my first attempt!) but it came out pretty good. The g.i.d. paint that I use is very photosensitive, so it glows strong and bright and lasts for quite a while, too.

I decided to use the "Haunted Mansion font" for my name outline, then fill in with g.i.d. paint. I also touched up around the Mansion on the front of the hat and also added a touch of g.i.d. to the spooks on the ears.

My camera doesn't do well in low-light, but I think these pictures give the gist of how well the g.i.d. paint works (even if the photo itself isn't great).


HM mouse ears - in the dark


HM mouse ears - in the dark


I've decided to post the rest of my surplus to my etsy shop, so if you're interested in ordering some customized g.i.d. Haunted Mansion mouse ears, act fast! These are no longer available in the parks and are hard to find! Plus, these are way cooler than machine embroidered, if I do say so myself! ;-)

. : * ~ * : . _ . : * ~ * : . _ . : * ~ * : .
Interested in owning a piece like this?
Check out my Etsy shop
or email me for a custom order!
. : * ~ * : . _ . : * ~ * : . _ . : * ~ * : .

No comments:

LinkWithin